Re: TeX

    Tim> find out that tex.fmt is never created. The tex.log shows:
    Tim> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=60].

Clearly something went wrong with your installation.  A previous TeX
installation is the culprit most often: old files come before the
proper files in the path somehow.  Very often it is because spurious
environment variables are in effect during the installation process.

I suggest purging then reinstalling your TeX packages.

There are more sophisticated ways of debugging TeX (or, rather,
kpathsea) if necessary.