Failure to install 0.93R6

Anyone help?
Trying to install 0.93R6 on my machine after hitting ENTER at the boot
prompt from the boot disk produces:

Uncompressing Linux...large kernel, low 1M tight...done.
Now booting the kernel
Console: colour EGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 4.03 BogoMips
Serial driver version 4.11 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
ftape: allocated 3 buffers aligned at: 00220000
hda: ST351A/X, 40MB w/8KB Cache, CHS=615/8/17
hda: IRQ probe failed (0)
hdb: IRQ probe failed (0)
hdb: IRQ probe failed (0)

and then absolutely nothing - no response from keyboard, waiting (over 4 hrs
in one case!).

The system comprises a TI'KO 325C system (without the case - literally sitting
on the bench) with 6MB RAM, an unmarked disk controller board (believed to be
the original).

Ignoring questions about disk size/video capability (the system will be
sufficient for my purpose) has anyone got any suggestions as to why the install
is stopping at this point?

Dave Low