Re: speaking of system time, I can't set mine across boots

    Andrew> Matthew Swift writes:
    >> Hi, ever since the change back to EST from EDT, my system clock has
    >> been an hour fast.  I set it with date --set, and the time remains
    >> changed for the duration of the session, but when I reboot, it's back
    >> to being an hour fast.  I boot via an MSDOS-MBR -> linux partition with LILO.
    >> If I reboot and then go to either DOS or Debian, the clock is still
    >> the old time too.
    >>
    >> My machine is standalone, and I have xntpd installed but the daemon
    >> turned off.  The same thing happens if I use ntpdate to set the clock
    >> while I am ppp'd to a network.  The same thing happens if I set the
    >> time while su'd to root or actually logged in to root.
    >>
    >> If I set the time with the MSDOS time command, the system stays
    >> set....
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what the problem is?

    Andrew> The date command doesn't actually seem to save the time. Have to use DOS
    Andrew> date or set the time in the BIOS.

Use the clock command:

bash# /sbin/clock -h
clock: illegal option -- h
clock [-u] -r|w|s|a|v
  r: read and print CMOS clock
  w: write CMOS clock from system time
  s: set system time from CMOS clock
  a: get system time and adjust CMOS clock
  u: CMOS clock is in universal time
  v: print version (1.4) and exit

alvar

--
Alvar Bray

Meiko Limited        Phone:    +44 1454 616171
650 Aztec West       Fax:      +44 1454 618188
Bristol BS12 4SD     E-Mail:   alvar@meiko.co.uk
England              WWW: