Re: NE*000 ethercard probe... unable to get IRQ 0 (irqval=-16).

> I have a PCIbus-based Pentium machine with an NE2000-compatible ISA<->ethernet
> adapter that does not work.  Anyone else?
>
> Does anyone have an ISA<->ethernet adapter working on a PCIbus machine?
>
> Matt Birkholz <birkholz@midnight.com.>

Well, I'm afraid that the NE2000 under Linux is rather bad.  I used to have 2
machines that had them in there, sometimes they wouldn't boot (freeze and the
probe) or lock up suddenly for no reason - no logs on it, nothing.  I found
others with the same problem and they said that it's the design of the card.

Under DOS and other enviroments they work fine.  But Linux, no way - my
soloution was fixed when I went out and bought SMC Elite 16C Ultra's instead -
Though more expensive, definately worth it.

Regards,

...Karl

--
 |                         PO Box 828   Office: (09)316-3036 Fax: (09)381-3909
 |OWER INTERNET SERVICES   Canning Bridge   After Hours:  015-779-828
                           WA, 6153     Sales Support: sales@tower.com.au
Internet Service Providers
 and Networking Solutions