Re: smail confusion

I got the following message from Bernd:

Ian wrote:

> nslookup is using a different nameserver, I think.  The one your Smail
> is using, 198.112.200.8, is giving me bogus answers, whereas the real
> nameservers for the domain (the ones listed in its NS records) appear
> to be OK (I haven't tried each one).

No, they are all using 198.112.200.8 -- the reason I am making this
DNS server is because I want to get off of NearNet's slower server.
All our local machines are pointed towards the linux box.

But what is different between the two servers is that I don't have an
MX record for plato in my local setup -- I assumed smail would, upon
failing to find an MX record, do a type A lookup and send it to the
inet address.  I would think that it is doing that on plato.

So what I need to do is add MX record for all the hosts that I want
able to receive mail?  That works well enough! :)

Thank you both!

Jim