Re: Idea for automatic update of modules...

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, CoB SysAdmin wrote:

> Here's an idea for y'all. Apologies if this has already been thought
> of/discussed/voted down...
>
> What if Debian had a utility that you could run that would connect to
> one of the machines at debian.org or wherever and check the version
> numbers of all of the packages installed on the user's system. For
> example:

Sounds like a great idea!

It would be good not only for keeping one system up to date, but also
for keeping a whole network up to date...set up one machine as the
"debian server" which mirrors debian completely AND runs the vercheck
server, and the other machines could run the vercheck client software.

Might be a bit of a load for debian.org, though.  Mirror sites should
run it as well if they can...

Actually, this might be possible using just mirror and dpkg...i think
if you give dpkg a directory containing a whole bunch of *.deb files it's
smart enough to only update those which have already been installed.  I
haven't had enough experience with dpkg yet to know for sure, will have
to check the documentation.

Craig

--
  cas@muffin.pronet.com                                cas@muffin.apana.org.au
   *       Unix Consulting:  Installation, Configuration, & Support.        *