Re: Installation Questions for a Debian Newbie

John,

On Nov 2, 10:38am, John T. Croteau wrote:
> Is it ok to rename all of the packages to an 8.3 format for installation
> from a DOS partition?  I currently have all the packages stored on my
> existing Slackware partition.  I usually do all my software installs from
> a spare IDE hard drive and would like to put debian on there too.

I believe you can rename them if you want because the dselect and dpkg software
use information within the .deb file to determine the real name and package
version, revision, etc.

To make your installation approach easier, the Debian maintainers have created
a msdos/ directory that contains symlinks to every package in the binary/
directory. These are the same packages with 8.3 filenames. Is this info too
late for you?

For installation information, you should look at http://www.debian.org/....
I haven't looked at it for a while, but the draft version was good enough to
answer most of my questions, and I didn't know anything about Linux before I
tried Debian!

--
Jeffrey Ebert                   Hughes Network Systems
jebert@hns.com                  (301) 548-1292