Re: FTP Installation & Package Naming Conventions

ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 02.11.95 in <[🔎] m0tAnZg-0002YDC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>:

> Kai Henningsen writes ("Re: FTP Installation & Package Naming Conventions"):
> > "brian (b.c.) white" <bcwhite@bnr.ca)  wrote
> > on 01.11.95 in <"28061 Wed Nov  1 15:31:32 1995"@bnr.ca>>:
> >
> > > Dashes within package names are basically required because of things
> > > like "emacs" and "emacs-el".  Changing this is likely to upset a lot of
> > > people, which makes it difficult to convince the Debian guys to enforce
> > > this.
> >
> > Hmm. Personally, I'd then simply use "_" in the name.
>
> Gak.  Amongst other things, `-' characters are ugly and harder to
> type.
>
> We have consistently been using `-', and we should continue to do so.

Harder to type? Now this is ridiculous. Anyway, how often *do* you type a
package name, in a world of filename completion, mget and dselect?

As to what we have consistently doing, it seems to have given us some
problems - if you have a better way of solving these ...

MfG Kai