Re: *Please* release R6.

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995 19:04:07 -0500, "William S. Gribble" <grib@cs.utexas.edu> said:

> I've been using debian for a long time and I tell everyone I can
> about it.  I've installed the curent release on several machines and
> I'm very happy with it.

Me too.  I've been an alpha tester since Debian began.

> The constant delays in releasing the thing have to stop.  I know
> that Ian M. had hard drive problems.  That's unfortunate, and
> certainly cause for some difficulty in getting the release out the
> door.

This is how it has always been.  This is probably how it will always
be.  The Debian Project has no full-time members.  People contribute
as their own (usually hectic) schedules allow.  This makes it nearly
impossible to make and/or keep a Debian release schedule.

> However, the Debian project did post to a double handful of
> newsgroups and mailing lists a ``press release'' which firmly
> announced a release date.  Doesn't that mean anything to anyone?  I
> think it's a little shameful to make an announcement like that in
> public and then, almost a month after the announced date, still not
> to have even acknowledged publically that the date has come and
> gone.

Pretty embarassing, isn't it?  It's unfortunate that this happened but
don't give up hope.  The project has quite a bit of momentum right
now, even if the "official release" has not been made.

--Mike