Re: Smail - installation?

Karl Ferguson writes:

>I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but since all the maintainers
>(should be:) ont his list I'll post here anyway.  Should smail prompt
>you to run from the inetd or from the command line as smail -bd -q10m
>or something?  Everytime I reboot my box I find I have to re-run
>smail manually as to get it running.
>
>Is this (problem) fixed now?  Or what's happening?

If you look in /etc/smail/crontab you should find the following:

  # Default `mail' user's crontab, supplied Smail for Debian GNU/Linux.
  # See /usr/doc/copyright/smail for details, or read smail(5) for details of
  # how to configure Smail.  Autoconfiguration done by /usr/sbin/smailconfig.
  # (min, hour)   (dm,m,dw)       (command)
  3,23,43 *       * * *           runq

...which copes with the -q10m part (actually does the job every 20
minutes).  You should also find, in /etc/inetd.conf, the following:

  smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.smtpd

...which copes with the -bd part.  If either of these are wrong then
you have found a bug.

ttfn/rjk