scsi-related kernel panic messing up shutdown

  FWIW.

--------------------------- quote --------------------------------
# mv ispell*.deb /E/DEBIAN2.binary/text
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 8/37): set_inode_dtime: Cannot
load inode table block - inode=20352, inode_block=81928

# shutdown -h now
Broadcast message from root (tty1) Wed Sep 27 16:04:01 1995...

# really?
bash: really?: command not found

  This happens every time I have a kernel panic on my Fujitsu M2511a
m.o. drive -- which is to say almost any time I access that drive
after it has been idle for (say) 20 minutes.

  At this point, because `shutdown' has not in fact shut down, all I
can do is hit reset and hope for the best.

  I would much prefer to have a guaranteed safe exit if possible.

  Bill