Re: installation directories

Stuart Marshall wrote:
> I partitioned my disks so that /usr, /var, /, /usr/local, /home are seperate.
> Since most packages install the bulk of their stuff in /usr I am wondering
> what to do when the number of packages that I want to install becomes too
> large to squeeze into /usr.  I can imaging moving /usr/doc, /usr/info,
> /usr/games, /usr/man to someplace else and soft linking them.  But this
> seems silly.  I made /usr 200 Mb so it is not tiny, but hopefully there
> will be more and more nice debian packages!  Many packages are not what
> I would think of as core parts of the operating system. For example
> xfig, kermit, c2man, indent, pmake, minicom, ghostview, xv and many
> others come to mind.  Would it be possible for some packages to have
> an alternate installation path without causing all sorts of problems?
       ^^^^^^^^^
You mean `alternative'.

No, this is not practical.  If you find that your /usr is getting too
big for the partition you allocated it, try moving one of its subtrees
into a separate filesystem (either by mounting a new filesystem on
/usr/lib, say, or by using a symbolic link), or repartitioning in
general.

Bruce Perens writes ("Re: installation directories "):
> Perhaps the simplest way to support this might be to hack "dpkg" so that
> it would create symbolic links to your "expansion" filesystem as it created
> new directories. That way, we'd be able to stay in compliance with the
> FileSystem STanDard and not have to deal with the problem of files not
> being accesable through their expected paths.
>
> This would take some work by Ian Jackson, so you'll have to convince him
> it's a good idea.

I think I'll take a lot of convincing.  Why not just take a
subdirectory of /usr and put it somewhere else ?  That will have the
desired effect, and won't require using disastrous hackery by dpkg to
create a mess.

Ian.