Information about updates?

Is there currently any way to find out installed packeges have newer
releases, other than constantly looking at the web site, or tracking
through the Packages files?  I haven't seen anything, so I wrote a perl
program to compare the status file with a Package file.  It will list
new packages not in the status file, and packages that have changed the
version/revision number.  Is there any need for this kind of tool, and
if so what do I do with the program, or was this just a programming
exercise?

Carl Johnson            carlj@peak.org