Re: Partial truth (Re: Why other distributions ...)

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Bruce Perens writes ("Re:  Partial truth (Re: Why other distributions ...)"):
> > I just mailed you the same message I've been sending to new
> > volunteers.  It contains Ian Jackson's draft of a new set of
> > packaging guidelines.  As soon as he's happy with this draft, it
> > will be on the WWW site for all to read. If anyone else needs this
> > information, please tell me.
>
> There are a few more things that need doing to the guidelines, but the
> draft I posted a week or two ago to debian-devel is better than the
> previous version.
>
> Please put it up on the WWW site in the meantime.

Could I get a copy of those guidelines as well?  I'd like to start
contributing stuff to debian.

I'll start off with something small and easy and useful: the par paragraph
reformatter which is much more versatile than fmt.  Best thing about it is
that it knows about multiple levels of quoting characters ">" etc in email
messages.  It can also be called from vi.

I've recompiled it for my system, and I need to make a package containing
/usr/bin/par and /usr/doc/par/par.doc (it has no man page). What else do I
need to do?  Make the source and diff packages as well? The only change I
made to the source was to edit the Makefile a little.

What about file-naming conventions?  The current version of par is 1.41, so
would I use par-1.41-01.deb?

Craig

--
  cas@muffin.pronet.com                                cas@muffin.apana.org.au
   *       Unix Consulting:  Installation, Configuration, & Support.        *