Re: System won't boot

On Fri, 24 Nov 95 21:47 PST Bruce Perens wrote:

>Stick an "insmod binfmt_elf" in the script before it runs FSCK.
>Take it out of your /etc/modules once you do that.

I did both. I had to give a fully qualified path for binfmt_elf before the
system could find it like thus:

insmod /lib/modules/1.2.13/misc/binfmt_elf

Now, when fsck runs I get the following error message:

fsck: can't load library 'libc.so.5'

I have not upgraded libc yet. What other packages will I have to install to make
the system work?

>The kernels I upload (probably sometime tomorrow evening at the rate
>things are going) will have ELF linked in. Soon we can make a.out a
>module :-) .

Perhaps I will have to wait until you do that before I can fix my system. Since
this is all a learning exercise anyway, I can wait.

I have one additional question regarding making kernels:

I was able to make my own kernel a couple of weeks ago that had support for
OS/2's HPFS. This is essential until I can get FTP running under Linux,
completion of which has been quite elusive thus far.

That was a real learning experience. I did get three warning messages that were:

unsigned int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)

in functions 'SK_print_dev,' 'znet_probe,' and 'atp_probe1.'

I also got one warning message as follows:

assignment from incompatible pointer type

in function 'ppp_first_time.'

The kernel compiled and made a boot diskette for me with the added
functionality.

As I am only slightly familiar with programming in c, can you give me
a brief idea of what happened here?

Thanks

Rod Cole

Still having fun learning Debian!  ;-)

BTW, I have seen the previews for Toy Story and Joel Siegel's rave reviews. It
does look like this is going to be a real blockbuster since other big studios
have delayed releasing their films because of fear of competition from Toy
Story.