Re: tmp junk

ecki@lina.inka.de writes ("tmp junk"):
> dpkg leaves a lot of tmp directories:
>
> /tmp:
> 19204zea:
> total 4
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          157 Dec  2  1994 control
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1687 Dec  2  1994 postinst
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          676 Dec  2  1994 prerm
>
> are those files (a few hundreds) supposed to be cleande by the tmp-cleaner
> or should they be deleted by:
> Debian GNU/Linux `dpkg' package management program version 1.0.5.

They are usually deleted.  You must have interrupted dpkg with a
signal or something.

dpkg doesn't do any signal trapping, because I think that trying to
put the world back the way it was after getting a signal is asking for
trouble.  Instead it makes sure that packages are never left in
irrecoverably bad states; retrying the interrupted installation should
complete it succesfully.

I don't think this is a serious problem if it only happens during
nasty kinds of failures; they'll get cleaned up by cron.  If you can
reproduce the problem easily without sending dpkg a signal it's
probably a bug - if so, please report it.

Ian.