Installation problems..

Hello from a wanna-be Debian user.  I'm not really a Debian user because
I can't get it installed.  Is there any type of thorough documentation
for the Debian installation process, like the Installation-HOWTO for
Slackware?

Here's what's going on.  I've got Pacific HiTech's November Linux Monthly
CD-ROM.  I made the 1440 boot, root, and base disks.  I can boot the
system and get as far as mounting the partitions, but when I try to
install from the base disks, the installation program won't recognize the
disks.  It gives a message like "this is disk 0 of 0 of set basedisk
1440..." and I can get no further.  Any ideas?  Am I missing something
simple?

BTW, I'm using loadlin to boot the kernel instead of booting from the
boot floppy.  I use 'loadlinx standard root=a: ramdisk=0'.  This is
necessary because I have only 4 megs of RAM, and if I boot from the boot
floppy I get 'cat: virtual memory exhausted' and the system dies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get Debian
installed yesterday. :)  Thanks.

- Matt

--
*  Matthew C. Masuda        * "That which does not kill us makes  *
*  mcmasuda@greatbasin.com  *  us stranger."  - Trevor Goodchild  *