kernel maintenance

   Hello.

   I have the impression that Debian software packages usually involve
three files:

	1. package-version-x.tar.gz
	2. package-version-x.diff.gz
        -----------------------------
	3. package-version-x.deb

where 1 and 2 are normally inputs to a build process which has 3 as
its output.

   However, in the case of the `source' package, I find

	binary/devel/source-version-x.deb

with no corresponding

	source/devel/source-version-x.tar.gz
or
	source/devel/source-version-x.diff.gz

   Does this mean, as the following diagram is intended to suggest,
that the actual `linux-version.src.tar.gz' plays the role of
`source-version-x.tar.gz'?

                       linux-version.src.tar.gz

                             patch <----- source-version-x.diff.gz

                        source-version-x.deb

   If so, where is `source-x.diff.gz'?

   Or am I merely looking in the wrong place?

   Thank you.

   Bill