Newbie questions about installing and documentation

Hello!

I am a complete newbie at linux (and not very experienced in unix
system administration) which I will now demonstrate by the following
questions:

First of all, I haven't really made my mind up about which linux I
should install. Is debian a good choice considering that I am a
newbie? Is the slackware version more
stable/user-friendly/complete/popular? There doesn't seem to be too
much articles concerning debian at comp.os.linux.*, how come?

Where is the `debian/disks' directory referred to by
http://www.rahul.net:80/perens/Debian/InstallationNotes.html?

Where is the `100+ page manual documenting the installation process'
referred to by http://www.debian.org/release-date.html?

I currently have only an almost filled 420MB hard-disk. I am seriously
considering buying a second one to use exlusively for linux.

Before I do this I would like to try linux out, is this possible
without repartitioning my current hard disk, i.e. just setting up a
small experimental linux?

What size hard-disk should I get? My main interest is actually to
learn how to administrate a unix system. It will be on a isolated
(excepting modem) single 486 PC and I will be the only user. I will
mostly install things that I think are fun, like emacs and nethack. To
be comfortable, do I need more than 540MB?

In the same note, is 8 MB of memory comfortable?

Oh yes, I have no facilities whatsoever for backing up my
hard-disk(s), is this a major worry?

	Thanks

--
Klas Mellbourn     I telephone +46 8 15 56 17   I
Koersbaersv 3:110  I Public key on request      I Your quote here.