Re: no-x support?

In article <[🔎] m0syQUq-00017gC@zachs.place.org> Zachary DeAquila <zachary@zachs.place.org> writes:

> What's the correct way to get emacs (for instance) to install without X support?
> I don't have or run X on this machine since I'm almost *never* local to it.
>
> dpkg --install --ignore-depends="xlibraries" ?
>
> This got it to install but upon run I get the message:
>
> emacs: can't find library 'libXaw.so.6'
>
> which means it somehow wants to depend on them still.  So whaddo I do?

You must install the xlib package. Emacs is dynamically linked
against the X libraries, so it needs these libraries even if you don't
use the X support.

This limitation may go away (when we use the ELF binary format), but
currently there is no way around it.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph (sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de); WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/