Re: Replacing Slackware with Debian

Steve Rauch
   I would like to keep /home, /usr, /usr/local etc. on partition 3
   and put root and admin directories on partition 4.

   I have perused the draft installation manual and have not found
   information addressing a replacement installation.  I know this
   topic was discussed a few months ago, but that discussion is not
   archived on the current mailing list archive.

   What directories do I mount when installing Debian, and what
   Slackware files and directories must I remove? and should that be
   done prior to the installation?  Or what the case be for a
   completely new install?

Hmm...

Here's a rough idea of what I'd try to do:

(*) make a backup of my system.

On partion 4, install debian system, including the following from the
shell:

/u	(empty directory) mount point for partition 3
/home   soft link to /u/home
/usr    soft link to /u/usr

Then I'd bring up the system and start installing packages.

Once I was done, I'd probably try and compose some sort of list of
left over files from slackware that haven't been replaced.  Something
like:

cd /tmp
find /usr >slakfiles
dpkg --search '*' | cut -f2 -d' ' >debfiles
cat slakfiles debfiles debfiles | sort | uniq -u >extrafiles

I'd go over these by hand and try and divide them up into categories
-- "delete with impunity", "should be in debian", "big mystery", ...

--
Raul