Re: emacs 19.29-2 purge failed due to assumption

 > dpkg *can* remove whole directory trees, but you have to have a very
 > pathological package to do it.  When removing packages it certainly
 > won't remove any files it doesn't know about.

That alone is enough reason to use the Debian package installer!

In the meantime, I've removed all the Emacs-files by hand, looking
them up in the dpkg-contents listing. But the entry in the package
list remains, although with stat 'phh'. Please specify how I can
remove that, so dpkg won't try banging it's head when it encounters it.

Thanks in advance, Guido.