Re: Debian for Linux/68k?

Bruce Perens:
   If you build everything in the "base" subdirectory, and perl and
   the c compilers and libraries from the "devel" subdirectory, you
   will have a "base" Debian system. It would be nice if someone (or
   several someones) in the 68k community could build the entire
   system and support it. We can probably find space for another set
   of binary packages on our FTP server.

It's not clear to me that this would be sufficient.

For example, the 680x0 kernels still haven't fully converged with
Linus's distribution.  The loaders for 680x0 tend to be somewhat
different from for i386 -- in fact, I don't see a 680x0 subdirectory
in my /usr/src/linux/arch directory.

I don't even know if the concept of a boot floppy will work for 680x0
-- I've still not figured out how to get Linux installed properly on
my Amiga, but I don't expect to use any floppies in the process.
However, the process I use is somewhat different from the process an
Atari owner might follow.

In other words, it's not a simple port.  There are at least a few
substantial issues to be resolved.

--
Raul