Re: Installation etc

> still doesn't mount. Get the same - mount:wrong fs type or bad superblock
> error message.

Hm. But later in this message you say you can mount one CD, just not this
one. It might be worthwhile asking the CD creator for some hints.

> /lib/modules/1.2.1/scsi/eata.o What do I do to either get it in the right
> place or get the loader to recognize it?

I don't think this matters for your SCSI drive.

> will the Linux how to
> and the kernel hacker's guide help at all or am I going to need to learn a
> completely new set of directories and configuration approach?

No, the kernel is straight from Linus - I just configured it and packaged it.

> As an example of my current lost feeling. What has replaced gettydef for
> modem configuration? I can't get either ppp or minicom to make proper use of
> my modem.

We are using agetty. You can find its manual page on our WWW site. I think we
had a limited choice of gettys we could use due to the distribution terms.
Unfortunately some of the more popular ones have restrictions like "can't be
sold", etc. We want to be legal when CD-ROM publishers (like you, maybe?)
publish Debian.

The (admittedly alpha-version) 100 page manual on Debian, also available
through our WWW site, is for a version somewhat newer than the one you are
running. Have you read that?

> The last Linux I had installed (the machine was struck by lightning) was an
> older version of Debian (version 3 I think) and asside from not running the
> most up to date shared libraries I was impressed with it's stability and
> compatibility. Many packages that Slackware and SLS could not build, built
> right out of the box with Debian.
> I don't yet have that cozey feeling with this version ( I assume I am
> running rev 5 ) as I arrived at the machine this morning to find it locked
> up tight with the hard disk light lit. On the other hand if I can iron the
> bugs out of the CD stuff I will be getting closer to where I need to be.

It sounds like most of what is bothering you is related to the kernel version.
The revision you downloaded is somewhat stale, I am working on another today.

> Well, the philips drive is a multisession drive. The cd that I can mount is
> a multisession disk. The only problem arrizes from the fact that the driver
> only looks at the first session. I assume that if I were to close the disk
> (combining all session into one final header) that it would behave just like
> a single session disk.

I don't know how multisession disks will work with that driver at all. Slowly,
the Linux CD-ROM drivers are being revised to deal with multi-session.

> ... could be solved by getting
> dpkg-0.93.70 ... Any idea where I would find it?

Look under ftp.debian.org:/debian/binary/base/dpkg* .

The system is pre-release and currently under development - sorry that
you're having problems because of that.

	Thanks

	Bruce