[no subject]

>It would be extremely helpful if there were a 1- or 2-page document that
>gave a little more detail on the meaning of the dpkg flags.
>Such a document might explain what's the difference between revove and purge,
>what's the difference between install, unpack, and configure, what "--no-act"
>doesn't do, what kinds of "things" one might wish to --force, etc.
>etc.  Even a one-page document just giving 1-full-sentence explanations of
>the main commands (not the options) would be a help for now.
>
>Susan Kleinmann
>"Beggars can't be choosers but often are anyway."

I can appreciate your problems. I am only a few steps ahead of you but might
be of some help. There is a screen of information that appears somewhere
during the installation process that I was forsighted enough to write down.
>From this description I have surmised that installation is a three step
process. You must first unpack packages with:
dpkg --unpack /path/*.deb
Then configure them with:
dpkg --configure --auto
Finaly you install them using:
dpkg --install --auto /path/*.deb
I can only assume (since it is what I need to do next) that you can install
individual packages by replacing * with the package name.
My best advice to you, other than the above, is to take careful notes of
what you do and the results you experience. Memory is a falible tool.
Feel free to contact me direct... Dwarf@core.symnet.net

Your Humble Servant, Dale Scheetz

P.S. All beggars are choosers, otherwise they would stay at home with what
they have! :-)