problem formatting

I have been using a GSI 32 card for my large hard drive
for some time with no problems in both Debian and
slackware distributions.  Recently, I got a new motherboard
with the ami winbios, which supports the larger drives
directly.  So I switched to a scsi/ide card I had.  And
upon booting linux from disk and looking at fdisk, there
were errors on partitions 1-5 saying they did not
start/stop on a boundary.  Since I was also having other
problems, I decided to reformat/partition my drive.  I
tried to allocate the whole drive for linux and format
it.  Debian tried for a while but crashed saying "Oops"
and a whole bunch of numbers/letters I didn't take note
of.  I booted slackware and formatted the whole thing.
Then I booted dos and formatted it again.  I then checked
it again with debian and it crashed again saying:
"Kernel panic: Wrong list"  What is the problem?  I have
a SIDE scsi/ide card, WD 730 HD, and rev c of the winbios.

Thanks,

   | |  | /_ |_| |>  |  Tony Matous   | Insert clever comment here.    |  | |