xbase now installed

Thanks to Raul, Peter, and Bruce for the quick advice.  I took the union of
all of it and think I got xbase installed.  The process was fairly messy,
since I'd gotten partially through the xbase installation before I realized
I was in trouble.  This leads to two suggestions about the ANNOUNCE file,
and one more question:

1.  Had I read the ANNOUNCE write-up all the way to the end, I might've
saved myself a lot of grief.  But I stopped when I got to the headline
that said "Changes Relevant to Package Maintainers", thinking that the
rest of the text was for the wizards.  Perhaps it might be helpful to
place section this at the end, since this section is actually fairly short
(but longer than one screenful!) and the text following it is for everyone.

2.  The new version of dpkg does not seem to like the combination of --purge
and --remove which are suggested in ANNOUNCE.  A single --purge seems to
be enough to get it to purge things.

The question is simply:
I never did get rid of /usr/X11R5/lib and /usr/X11R5.  Shall I just
rm -r them?

Happily relieved,
Susan