correcting dpkg status before upgrading

Hi,

I have several packages that are installed and seem to be working fine.
However, dpkg --list reveals that some of the packages' status is
Installed but the Desired is Purge.  How do I change these packages so
that their status and desired states are both Installed?  Is there a way
to do this without editing the status file?  My dpkg is 0.93.42.3.

Thanks,

Kenny Wickstrom           | gnu - a new generation in s/w devel/support
kenny@kennet.com          | Linux - a much improved Un*x clone
(708)740-4008             | Debian - a Linux distribution setting the
#include <std-disclaimer> |    standard for future distributions