Re: lisp

>>>>> "Bruce" == Bruce Perens <bruce@Pixar.com> writes:

Bruce> Isn't there a GNU lisp? If there's one that's freely
Bruce> redistributable, whoever it comes from, I'd suggest that
Bruce> someone who has cause to use it package it for the rest of
Bruce> us. I'd be a bad candidate for this job, as I don't use Lisp.
Bruce> There are many package maintainers on the debian-devel list who
Bruce> can help you get started in building Debian packages.

CLISP runs on Linux and Linux/ELF systems.  CLISP is available from
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de:/pub/lisp/clisp.  I'm maintaining
this package, if anyone wants to polish a debian installation system,
I'd be happy to help out.  I'm not running debian, but I do have a
couple of bleeding-edge / from-scratch Linux systems.  The primary
features of CLISP are its portability, clean implementation, and small
footprint.  CLISP uses a byte-code compiler.

GCL also runs on Linux, I don't know if ELF is supported yet.
GCL is available from math.utexas.edu.  GCL compiles to C, which
results in good performance.  GCL came from AKCL, which came from KCL.

Finally, there is a CMU Lisp port in the works, but it will be awhile
before it is ready for prime time.  Much progress has been made -- all
by Paul F. Werkowski -- one very intense hacker.  CMU Lisp's primary
feature is Python, an advanced native compiler.  If you work with
Python's compilation notes, Python can generate code as fast as GCC.