timezone setup and PC clock

I installed Debian 0.93 R5 and configured the Eastern timezone.  I
answered the question "Is your system clock set to GMT?" NO because the
PC clock is set to my local time.  Now the PC boots DOS and shows the
proper time but Linux/Debian shows the time as off by 4 hours late.

What is the "correct" answer to system clock set to GMT?

How do I get Linux to show the correct time without resetting the DOS
clock and messing that time up?

Assuming that the proper answer is YES to system clock is GMT - the
wording seems counter intuitive to me.  (or did I overlook something?)

TIA...

Paul Kirschner                                       #include <disclaimer.std>
pek@utrc.utc.com
United Technologies Research Center