New Kernel: Working

I picked up the bin86. Restarted the 'make' processes. This time
"make zdisk" worked. The new kernel booted the system. Time will tell
if there are any problems with it. Thanks for mentioning the bin86.
Its unlikely that I would have made the 'as86' & 'bin86' connection.

> From: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@lot49.med.miami.edu>

> What I don't understand is how you correctly figured out that you're
> missing the as86 program, and yet seem to think that this is related to
> the floppy at all -- or is this a pair of discrete questions ("Where is
> as86?  Do I need to format the floppy?") that just sort of got ran
> together?

>From the 'command not found' message, I knew I was missing something
important. But, I did not want to rule out the floppy factor. Since
the available information did not specify either low-level formatted,
formatted with a filesystem, or even mounted or unmounted, I had to
consider that the floppy inserted in drive A might also be a cause to
the 'make zdisk: error 2' message.

Anyway, the new kernel:
Memory:7108k/8192k available (544k kernel code, 384k reserved, 156k data)

The original kernel:
Memory:6748k/8192k available (848k kernel code, 384k reserved, 212k data)

Thanks for your help.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com