Re: make zdisk: Error 2

On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Barry Masterson wrote:
> From what I can tell from the out put log, I'm missing 'as86'. Everything
> else ran without incident, 'make dep', 'make clean', no problem.

You're correct, you're missing as86.  It's located in the bin86 package
-- it was apparently an oversight that it wasn't listed as a dependency
of the source package.

> The kernel-howto, and 'Running Linux' don't clearly describe the full
> zdisk procedure, other than to say "..put a floppy in drive A."

Which is all you have to do.  I guess technically that it should say "a
_formatted_ floppy", but just low-level formatted.  You don't have to run
mkfs, and as a result you don't have to (and in fact couldn't) mount it.

>      * Should I mount the floppy drive before running 'make zdisk'?
>      * Should the floppy disk be only low-level formatted, or formatted
>        with the ext2 filesystem, or some other filesystem?

What I don't understand is how you correctly figured out that you're
missing the as86 program, and yet seem to think that this is related to
the floppy at all -- or is this a pair of discrete questions ("Where is
as86?  Do I need to format the floppy?") that just sort of got ran
together?

Mike.
--
"Cigarettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary."