Re: ?? accton: Function not implemented

  Bruce Perens writes:
  Bruce>  The currently-distributed kernel doesn't have accounting.
  Bruce>
  Bruce> I have uploaded source-1.2.11 and source-1.3.11 packages which have
  Bruce> the accounting patches already installed. If you build your own
  Bruce> kernel using one of those packages, accton won't make that
  Bruce> complaint.
  Bruce>
  Bruce> This feature will eventually make it into the binary kernels.

Does anyone use accounting with success? It works only somewhat for me.

I had complained about the missing acct support in the kernel a while ago,
without anyone picking the thread up. I then found a pointer to the new patch
on one of the c.o.linux.* newsgroup. I mailed Bruce about it, he included it
into source-1.{2,3}.11.

I applied the patch on my dial-in box at home onto the debian source 1.2.10
tree. accton is now supportted. But 'lastcomm' from the acct-alpha-5.7
binaries prints a hell lot of garbage on the screen and core dumps. The
'lastcomm' that comes with the acct-kernel patch from sunsite works.

Could we straighten this out between the source and acct maintainers?

I CC this to Ian Murdock, the acct-alpha maintainer. Bruce is already on this
for the source package.

Cheers,

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel