Re: ELF (Important, espc. f/ developers)

> That sounds like more ELF blue-sky to me. The line is something
> to the effect of ELF will be transparent, painless, help you in all these
> great ways, etc., etc. However, the current reality is that it just ain't
> so. As I have found out, the transition is currently *NOT* painless.

Craig,

If you're going to hang out in pioneer country, don't be surprised when
you get arrows in your back :-) .

Probably the best thing most people can do is to wait for the Debian crew
to issue an all-ELF system. By the time we get that out the door we will
have dealt with all of these ugly transition issues, and you'll be able
to plug and play.

> I avoid C++ like the plague, myself.
This is unsettling to hear, but if it's due to a buggy compiler I can
understand. If I write new software of any size, it's going to be C++.
The features of C++ make programming a lot easier for me, and my programs
are generally more correct when written in C++ than otherwise. Probably a
lot of this is due to my use of "smart pointers", and the way they free me
(pun intended) from having to deal with storage management, but the object
orientation helps as well.

> It'll compile on my system, but the linker spews unresolved
> references to __strtol_internal at me.

That sounds like it a pretty simple libc problem. We'll make sure that it
doesn't exist in the Debian ELF release.

	Thanks

	Bruce