Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

James A. Robinson writes:

> On solaris /opt is for local packages, sounds an awfull lot /usr/local
> to me.

I have no idea what Solaris does, but I thought the purpose of
/usr/opt was to hold optional packages of the distribution.
/usr/local might be for anything else that you might personally
download (or write) and install.  Thus, for, our purpose, everything
currently in debian except for emacs and TeX could be considered
optional.  I know this is rather vague, but, for example, elm, smail,
and the tcpip packages should be considered part of the base
distribution, even though you may choose not to install it.  This
definition of the `base distribution' roughly corresponds to what you
would get with a brand new Unix workstation.

--
Sunando Sen

Dept. of Economics			Email: sens@acf2.nyu.edu
New York University