Re: user private groups and a src group

Matthew Hannigan <matth@ucc.su.oz.au> writes:

> Exactly.  It won't change _anything_ for the average user.

Not so.  You should say, "they won't notice."  Above-average users
will definitely notice.

> The change _only_ affects group permissions. Nobody bothers with
> group permissions normally, partly because they couldn't be bothered
> because it is too difficult mucking around with newgrp, chmod and
> umask.

Agreed.

> This way, group permissions will suddenly become practical after 20
> years of unix!  Hooray!

There is nothing practical about putting every user in a separate
group which must then be added to /etc/groups.  It just works -- a
hack.  To add a user, /etc/groups should not have to be touched, IMHO,
but I am willing to accept it for the benefits that it brings.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>