re: Re: user private groups and a src group

quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu (Daniel Quinlan) Wrote:
[pros presented, Cons of moving now presented]

| I've already made my point about waiting until 0.9x, but
| I'd like to
| see someone other than Ian Murdock (someone very familiar
| with this)
| handle the necessary changes, including the preparation of
| a list of
| things which need to be changed or rewritten, and then
| rewriting them.

Hummm...Unless I am way off ( could be :), then only four things would
need to be changed: /etc/passwd, /etc/group ( to reflect the new idea of
uid=gid ), the adduser script/program ( your pick, I use both :), and
then the fixperms files.

I have not played with fixperms that much, but, couldn't we just change
the files, and let it run?  Or just generate a script which recursive
chown on the directories in question ( the source trees and the home
dirs. ).

I currently have something similar set up on my Linux box.  /usr/local,
/usr/local/games, and /usr/local/games/empire all have their own
accounts.  But, I have nothing as of yet in the root file system.

Just my few cents worth,

Don
--
Donald Harper
Consultant for North American Information Systems, Compaq Computers