fix 0.81 Debian's fingerd/finger, anyone?

Greetings, My 0.81 Debian is running nicely except that finger/fingerd
is not working as expected. Especailly it is useless for outside world
to query my users. Hope someone can offer an easy fix. Thanks a lot.

% finger @
/etc/fingerdir/hostdata: file has not changed in 1 week,  1:32:35
  User     Real Name         What    Idle  TTY  Host      Console Location
root     root               bash           *p0 moelinux (mp.cs.niu.edu)