Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

Jonathan A. Buzzard writes:

> >Then consider generating two minimal sets of fonts, one for
> >write-black, one for write-white.  This will cover the vast majority
> >of the laser printers out there.  Or, even better, provide a script
> >that will offer to generate a set of fonts with the appropriate
> >mode_defs.  The advantage of sticking to the /usr/lib/texmf layout is
> >that TeX, MF, dvipsk, xdvik (and any other package that uses Karl
> >Berry's `kpathsea' routine will automatically find their input files).
> >Otherwise, you will have to mess with a number of environment
> >variables.  This will, of course, create problems for TeX novices
> >(`Help! TeX is not loading any macros!').
>
>  This is my last word on the subject. Ther is absoultly no way to cover the
> vast majority of laser or any other printer, even two different 300dpi laser
> printers, of a different model might have a, different mode, the generated fonts
> are thus different. The fonts are generated locally, they are local, hence they
> go in /usr/local.
>  As for dvipsk and xdvik (these are the only two programs other than TeX and
> METAFONT) that currently use this library, and versions of this are provided .
> If your printer has a resoultion other than 300dpi or uses a mode ither than
> CanonCX, then you will have to set some environment variables, I can see know
> way round this unless you recompile.

Well, since you seem to be the maintainer of the TeX package for
debian, I suppose you have the privilege of having the last word on
the subject.  I just wanted to point out that your proposed way of
installing sounded a bit unusual (in that it uses /usr/local, which no
other debian package does).

> >See above.  The way I see it, /usr/local should be left absolutely
> >untouched by any of the debian packages.
>
>  See above, when Debain TeX is installed, it will leave /usr/local empty, then
> you run dvips ro xdvi, they need some fonts, the can't find them, they get
> generated, this has nothing to do with the distribution of TeX, they are LOCAL
> hence they go in /usr/local (they might go to /var before bring moved to
> /usr/local though).

If they go to /var, then I don't see why they should at all end up in
local, they might as well be moved to /usr/lib/texmf/fonts.  But
hopefully it won't matter, as I hope you will set the default paths
for the fonts so that all the programs will know where to find them.

>  Anybody wanting it different can compile it all up themselves.

I already have (and have always done so).  I don't want to have an
argument with you.  I only posted because I thought your proposed
installation could do with a little discussion.

--
Sunando Sen

Dept. of Economics			Email: sens@acf2.nyu.edu
New York University