Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

>Then consider generating two minimal sets of fonts, one for
>write-black, one for write-white.  This will cover the vast majority
>of the laser printers out there.  Or, even better, provide a script
>that will offer to generate a set of fonts with the appropriate
>mode_defs.  The advantage of sticking to the /usr/lib/texmf layout is
>that TeX, MF, dvipsk, xdvik (and any other package that uses Karl
>Berry's `kpathsea' routine will automatically find their input files).
>Otherwise, you will have to mess with a number of environment
>variables.  This will, of course, create problems for TeX novices
>(`Help! TeX is not loading any macros!').

 This is my last word on the subject. Ther is absoultly no way to cover the
vast majority of laser or any other printer, even two different 300dpi laser
printers, of a different model might have a, different mode, the generated fonts
are thus different. The fonts are generated locally, they are local, hence they
go in /usr/local.
 As for dvipsk and xdvik (these are the only two programs other than TeX and
METAFONT) that currently use this library, and versions of this are provided .
If your printer has a resoultion other than 300dpi or uses a mode ither than
CanonCX, then you will have to set some environment variables, I can see know
way round this unless you recompile.

>See above.  The way I see it, /usr/local should be left absolutely
>untouched by any of the debian packages.

 See above, when Debain TeX is installed, it will leave /usr/local empty, then
you run dvips ro xdvi, they need some fonts, the can't find them, they get
generated, this has nothing to do with the distribution of TeX, they are LOCAL
hence they go in /usr/local (they might go to /var before bring moved to
/usr/local though).

 Anybody wanting it different can compile it all up themselves.

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard,
Physics Department,           Email:-
Heriot-Watt University,            phyjab1@caledonia.hw.ac.uk   InterNet