Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Hi,

On 2019-06-27 12:00, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Quoting Helio Loureiro (2019-06-27 10:50:54)
As much as I love free software, I also need to consider how to make
things more active.

We can have IRC, Matrix, Mastodon, Diaspora, etc.  But the last two
Debian meetups I hosted nobody from this mailing list showed up.  So
we are talking about an empty audience.  And worse: during the events,
nobody was using Debian in their laptops (me included).

If the kind of meetings you host are ones where non-Debian-users attend,
then perhaps it makes better sense to call them something else than
"Debian meetups".

Most effective way I learnt is to test out different descriptions and approaches. One could call them Debian Meetups, or something else (Debian-related of your choice) and announce them on all channels, including mailing list, bring a Debian laptop and make the different conversation topics Debian-related. If I could I would have attended, and probably wanted to switch to Debian in time for those meetups. Maybe starting a Debian association in Sweden would gauge and grow interest?

And everything is definitely mobile nowadays.  Telegram isn't an
attempt to hijack this mailing list or any other communication media,
but to increase the possibilities.  Even for newcomers.

Mobile is definitely a thing nowadays, but certainly not the only one.

Nice that you mention here that other user channels exist.

I say "yes and", and I'm for announcing on non-free channels and guide people to free channels. Please continue to use all channels, and great if more people find the mailing list.

BTW I use the free software client named "plus" to access Telegram.

Nice.  Even nicer if free software with a homepage and usable on
mainline linux - and if not already packaged in Debian then had an RFP
or ITP bureport filed - see http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

Good luck with that Telegram channel,

  - Jonas

Good luck with all channels! ;)