Re: traceroute

Fernando wrote:

> Hola:
>
> Estoy detrás de un firewall y tengo una curiosidad.
>
> pruebo a hacer un traceroute www.debian.org y no salgo.
>
> traceroute to www.debian.org (198.186.203.20), 30 hops max, 40 byte
> packets
>  1  172.27.50.192 (172.27.50.192)  1 ms  1 ms  1 ms
>  2  * * *
>  3  *
>
> Hago un mtr y me pinta todas las maquinas por las que pasa.
>
>                            Matt's traceroute  [v0.41]
>                                                       Mon Apr  1
> 16:31:30 2002
> Keys:  D - Display mode    R - Restart statistics    Q - Quit
>                                            Packets               Pings
> Hostname                                %Loss  Rcv  Snt  Last Best  Avg
> Worst
>  1. 172.27.50.192                          0%  111  111     0    0
> 1      6
>  2. 172.31.32.3                            0%  111  111     1    0

> ¿Porque el traceroute no sale y el otro si, utilizan distinto
> protocolo, qué pasa ?
>
> Saludos.

Me respondo a mi mismo: (Lo siento, no había buscado lo suficiente :-/ )

Versions of traceroute

      There are various versions of the traceroute program. In
particular, the Windows program "tracert.exe" uses pings as the packet
it sends to the target. Therefore,
      you might see ICMP Echoes on your firewall.

      The most popular "traceroute" program for UNIX programs sends UDP
datagrams to port 33434 for the first packet sent, then increases this
port number by one for
      each successive packet. This means that you will never see port
33434 on your firewall, but you will start to see successive ones
starting at higher port numbers.
      Traceroute programs typically send 3 packets for each hop (in case
some get dropped). Therefore, if somebody is 10 hops away, the first
port you will see is 33434
      + 3*10 = 33464.

Saludos de nuevo...

--
Fernando.
{:-{D>

   "Hackers do it with fewer instructions."