Fwd: Result of the Code of Conduct BOF at Debconf

[Encaminhando - É apenas uma brevia de mudanças no Código de Conduta do
Debian]

- -------- Mensagem original --------
Assunto: Result of the Code of Conduct BOF at Debconf
Data: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 20:20:28 +0200
De: Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
Empresa: Debian
Para: debian-project@lists.debian.org

Hi all,

As announced, today there was a bof on a code of conduct. During this
bof, we discussed a draft that I'd written, and some updates were made.
We didn't manage to handle the entire document (time ran out fairly
quickly), but I think what we have now is quite nice -- even if there's
still quite some work to be done.

The video isn't up yet as of this writing, but I'm sure it will be soon.

In the mean time, here's the current working draft:

- ---------
# Goals

To me, the goals of a Debian code of conduct should be:

- - To improve collaboration by encouraging a positive atmosphere
- - To discourage unwanted behaviour
- - To provide means to the DPL and delegates to take action in cases of
  excessive disregard for others

To meet these goals, a code of conduct should be concise (nobody reads a
multi-page code of conduct); it follows that it should not try to
enumerate every type of possible bad behaviour.

It's probably good if we assume good sense from people reading the
coc. It should be open for interpretation, though of course not to the
extent that calling people names (or similar) would be allowed.

I read several other community codes of conduct (CAcert, GNOME, KDE,
Dreamwidth, mozilla, openstack, tizen, ubuntu) before creating this
proposal.

# Proposal

## Be respectful

In a project the size of Debian, inevitably there will be people with
whom you may disagree, or find it difficult to cooperate. Accept that,
but even so, remain respectful. Disagreement is no excuse for poor
behaviour or personal attacks, and a community in which people feel
threatened is not a healthy community.

## Assume good faith

Debian contributors have a number of ways to reach the shared goal of
working
toward a [free](http://www.debian.org/intro/free) operating system.
<optional>Our
[diversity statement](http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity) welcomes
and encourages
participation by anyone.</optional>
<optional>Debian contributors come from a variety of languages,
cultures, and backgrounds,
among our other differences (see also our [diversity
statement](http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity).</optional>
It is helpful to keep this in mind and assume your colleagues are
working in good
faith. If in doubt, assume good faith. <???>If *really* in doubt, ask.</???>

## Be collaborative

Debian is a large and complex project; there is always more to learn
within Debian. It's good to ask for help when you need it. Similarly, offers
for help should be seen in the context of our shared goal of improving
Debian.

When you made something for the benefit of the project, be willing to
explain to others how it works, so that they can build on your work to
make it even better.

## Try to be concise.

Making a conversation larger makes it more difficult to follow. Writing
a long email means people may have to invest large amounts of time to
understand it. When a long explanation is necessary, consider whether a
summary is appropriate. Try to avoid repeating arguments that have
already been brought forward; this rarely serves any useful purpose.

<asheesh positive version (to replace 1st para; 2nd is OK)>
Keeping conversations short makes them easier to follow. Writing a short
email means people can understand the conversation as efficiently as
possible. When a long explanation is necessary, consider adding a
summary. Try to bring new arguments to a conversation so that each
mail adds something unique to the thread, keeping in mind that the
rest of the thread still contains the other messages with arguments
that have already been made.
</asheesh>

<buxy>
Keep in mind that what you write once will be read by hundreds of persons.
Go straight to your point. Stay on topic. Don't repeat yourself.
</buxy>

Try to stay on topic, especially in discussions that are already fairly
large.

## Be open

Most ways of communication used within Debian allow for public and
private communication. As per paragraph three of the [social
contract](http://www.debian.org/social_contract), you should preferably
use public methods of communication for Debian-related messages, unless
posting something sensitive.

This applies to messages for help or Debian-related support, too; not
only is a public support request much more likely to result in an answer
to your question, it also makes sure that any inadvertent mistakes made
by people answering your question will be more easily detected and
corrected.

## In case of problems.

While this code of conduct should be adhered to by participants, we
recognize that sometimes people may have a bad day, or be unaware of
some of the rules in this code of conduct. When that happens, you may
reply to them and point out this code of conduct. Such messages may be
in public or in private, whatever is most appropriate. However,
regardless of whether the message is public or not, it should still
adhere to the relevant parts of this code of conduct; in particular, it
should not be abusive or disrespectful. Assume good faith; it is more
likely that participants are unaware of their bad behaviour than that
they intentionally try to degrade the quality of the discussion.

Repeated offenders may be temporarily or permanently banned from
communicating through Debian's systems, at the medium's administrator's
prerogative.

# Medium-specific codes

This section contains some guidelines that are specific to one
particular communication medium. Note that the above general guidelines
still apply to each and every one of these medium-specific guidelines,
as well.

## Email

Email is an important part of Debian; much of our communication happens
through mail. This section applies to all email communication within
Debian, whether on our [mailinglists](http://lists.debian.org/), the [bug
tracking system](http://bugs.debian.org/), or private email between
project collaborators in the context of their Debian work.

- - Please use the most appropriate list you can see.  If you are unsure,
  use debian-user for support-related questions, or debian-mentors for
  development-related questions.  Be prepared to ask your question on a
  different list if told to do so, and mention that it is a resent
  question.
- - Use the correct language when sending mails to our lists. This is
  usually English, unless otherwise noted in the description of the
  mailing list in question.
- - You should check whether to reply to the List-Post address only, or
  whether the original author would like to be a Cc recipient. This may
  be indicated in the non-standard Mail-Followup-To header.
- - If you wish to be part of a discussion, you should preferably
  subscribe to the relevant mailing list, even if only temporarily. If
  you choose not to, you should remember that you may lose out on part
  of the discussion, even if you explicitly asked to be copied on