Reply from NRDC

Thanks for contacting NRDC!

Feedback, comments, and questions are tremendously important to us, and we really appreciate your taking the time to write. I hope you'll understand that because of the volume and range of e-mails we receive, it sometimes takes a while for me to answer specific questions -- but I did want to let you know right away that we got your message!  Inquires about our work are answered in the order we receive them, and I compile all of the feedback and comments that arrive electronically -- this information is indispensable as NRDC expands and enhances our environmental campaigns and our website.

If you haven't yet gotten a chance to explore our website, I encourage you to do so -- you're likely to find the answers you need before I can get back to you.  It's a truly comprehensive site, and if we don't have the information you're looking for online, chances are we don't have it -- but we probably link to an organization that does!  Below are some tips for using our website to research environmental issues, as well as some of the links people ask me for most often.

Thanks again for writing to NRDC, and thank you for your interest in our work.

Sincerely,
Kate Brauman
NRDC Membership and Public Education

TIPS

1. SEARCH our site: http://www.nrdc.org/search if you're looking for something specific.

2. Browse our TOPICS: http://www.nrdc.org/siteMap for the issue you're interested in, including Global Warming, Clean Water and Oceans, Air and Energy, Forests, Wildlife, Green Living, and Environmental Health.

3. Check out our LINKS: http://www.nrdc.org/reference .  Organized by topic, our links to other sites of interest are an excellent resource.

4. The PUBLICATIONS LIST: http://www.nrdc.org/publications includes all of our available print publications, organized by topic.

5. Find out ABOUT NRDC: http://www.nrdc.org/about .  You'll find information about our mission, website, finances, and more. And for a brief HISTORY of environmental law, which also describes NRDC's launch in 1970, see http://www.nrdc.org/legislation/helaw.asp

6.  Now that you've learned about the environment, TAKE ACTION!  BioGems: http://www.savebiogems.org is NRDC's online action center devoted to saving our hemisphere's most endangered wild places.  Earth Action: http://www.nrdc.org/action focuses on US environmental policies.  Both sites make it easy to send messages to the President, Congress, and other decisionmakers, letting them know that you care about protecting our environment.

*****
SPECIFIC WEB PAGES AND SITES OF INTEREST

Facing down an environmental problem in your COMMUNITY?
The best way to start is by contacting local groups.  My favorite way to find them online is using the National Wildlife Federation's Conservation Directory: http://www.nwf.org/conservationdirectory/ .

Wondering about a recent REGULATORY decision?
The Bush Record: http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/ details this administration's dealings on environmental issues.  http://www.regulations.gov/ is a government site that makes it easy to find, review, and submit comments on Federal documents.

How about a specific LAW?
NRDC's rundown of Environmental Laws & Treaties: http://www.nrdc.org/reference/laws.asp includes brief descriptions of major U.S. federal laws and international treaties pertaining to the environment.  Legislative Watch: http://www.nrdc.org/legislation/legwatch.asp tracks environmental bills moving through Congress.  And Thomas: http://thomas.loc.gov/ , the Library of Congress' database of legislative information, has the most up-to-date info on bill status. Figure out who your legislators are using NRDC's Congressional Directory: http://www.nrdcaction.org/action/directory.asp or go straight to the source and visit the Senate: http://www.senate.gov/ or the House: http://www.house.gov/ .

Want to know more about GLOBAL WARMING?
NRDC's Global Warming pages: http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming include a range of information, from fact sheets to policy analysis to action items.  Some of my other favorite sites include the EPA's Climate Change website: http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/climate.html , which has extensive introductory information.  The Exploratorium Climate Change site: http://www.exploratorium.edu/climate/primer/ is a great site for students.  And for some super in-depth coverage from the international scientific community, check out the IPCC's report Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/index.htm .

Want to BUY "green"?
I love the Green Pages Online: http://www.greenpages.org/ and EcoMall: http://www.ecomall.com/ .  Now recycle that!  Find out about recycling in your area at Earth911: http://www.earth911.org/ .  NRDC also has some great guides for living green: http://www.nrdc.org/cities/living/gover.asp