Re: Problem with Thunderbird and AmaViS on etch

Thomas Harding wrote:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 01:53:13PM +0100, Alessandro FAGLIA wrote:
Dear users,
I have a mailserver (i386) with etch and amavisd-new 2.4.2-6.1. The only locales I have generated is en_US ISO-8859-1. On the client side I have Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 with french localisation.

Whenever a mail asks for a return receipt (accusé de réception) and Thunderbird sends it, amavis mark this as a message with BAD HEADER. This is what I read in the quarantined mail header:

For the moment I solved the problem by setting D_PASS as default policy for banned messages, but I would like to understand why this happens. Is this a configuration problem of amavis or what else? I use Thunderbird also in other languages (italian, english) and I've never experienced such problem.

The problem comes from thunderbird which MUST send only ASCII characters
in headers!

only ascii code is allowed in headers, other characters have to be encoded
(can't find the rfc for characters encoding, but it is something like
"=iso-8859-1#E9" for <E9> character).

This encoding is the only to passthru following problem: Mime is defined
into headers, so it is not possible to interpret mime characters into
headers themselves.

This is the header section of the quarantined mail.