[Debian] [Fwd: Re: no shell, unable to cd to /home/*]

Karsten M. Self wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Karsten.

on Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 10:56:51AM +0200, Andreas von Heydwolff (avh@chello.at) wrote:

Hello -
I upgraded potato to Debian testing (2.4.9, XFree 4.1.0-6, old /dev structure) a few days ago, everything worked fine. Now I can no longer log in as a user but only as root. Login from the console gives me "Unable to cd to /home/avh", (avh is my user id) - it's the same with another user account. Therefore X aborts when I enter a user login in kdm.

su  from a console as root gives me a message "No shell".

What's in /etc/passwd for the user?

avh:x:1000:1000:avh:/home/avh:/bin/bash
mcr:x:1002:0:mcr:/home/mcr:/bin/bash

The root account works flawlessly. Home directories are there, can be browsed, permissions are set correctly.

Run and post output:

   $ mount
   $ ls -ld /home
   $ ls -las /home

mount

/dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/c type vfat (rw,uid=1000)
/dev/hda5 on /mnt/e type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/hda6 on /mnt/f type vfat (rw,uid=1000,1001)
/dev/hda7 on /mnt/g type vfat (rw,uid=1000,gid=1000)
/dev/hda9 on /mnt/ul_opt type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda10 on /mnt/home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda11 on /mnt/burn type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda12 on /mnt/vm type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdd5 on /mnt/j type vfat (rw,uid=1000,1001)
/dev/hdd6 on /mnt/k type vfat (rw,uid=1000,1001)

I deleted users and recreated them, to no avail. Deleted passwords,
recreated them - likewise. Reinstalled packages login, file-utils,
shell-utils, the X combo, nothing.

How are you creating and deleting users?  The 'adduser' command is
recommended.

Kuser, just tried creating user "test" with adduser: dir /home/test/ was created, same problem again.

Two further details are puzzeling me: earlier today I accidentally
renamed /etc/X11 to /etc/sane then using a Norton Commander like file
manager because I entered "sane" into a box called up with F2 (rename)
instead of F3 (search).

'mc', perhaps?

Did you change any other files?

emelfm which I like a lot
didn't change other files I believe.

But I realized this later when I could not start X andy more, changed
the name back and X worked again. I guess this is not related. - Or
have I been cracked through my wonderful cable modem despite running
an ipchains firewall? When I recreated another user to my surprise
when I checked the new home directories' permissions I saw that
"telnetd" was the owner, "users" the group. But maybe I just was a bit
quick with a graphical pulldown menu in the user damin program.

Not familiar with damin.

Peace.

oops - damin should read admin = Kuser

Best,