da ein mögliches Interesse derjenigen, die sich mit
'qt' und/oder 'KDE' beschäftigen, poste ich' s mal
unverändert an die Liste

X-From_: owner-qt-announce@troll.no Wed Nov 18 09:11:39 1998
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Open Source license for Qt
To: qt-announce@troll.no
To: qt-interest@troll.no
To: kde@kde.org
From: Troll Tech <info@troll.no>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:06:39 +0100

TROLL TECH ANNOUNCES PLANS TO MAKE NEXT GENERATION OF Qt OPEN SOURCE

Troll Tech AS today announced that the Free Edition of Qt, its popular
Graphical User Interface toolkit, will be released under an Open Source
license. With the new license, programmers will be able to distribute
and share any modifications they make to the Qt Free Edition. The lack
of such permission in the previous Free Edition license has been the
source of some dispute in parts of the Linux community since KDE, the
widely used Linux desktop environment, is based on Qt Free Edition.

In early 1996, Troll Tech released the first Free Edition of its GUI
toolkit, with full source code included, gratis to programmers of
Open Source software. Earlier this year, Troll Tech initiated the KDE
Free Qt Foundation to legally guarantee the continued availability of
Free Editions of all new versions of Qt. Now, with this new license
offering, Troll Tech is affirming its intention for Qt Free Edition to
be a non-controversial option for development of Open Source software,
and the best in its class as a application development framework.

"I am very pleased that we have been able to overcome the final obstacles
to releasing the Qt Free Edition under an Open Source license" said Eirik
Eng, Co-President of Troll Tech. "The Open Source development model is
showing sustained success, particularly in the Linux area."

A draft version of the new license text, dubbed the QPL, is available
at http://www.troll.no/qpl/. It will be first applied to the next major
release of the Qt Free Edition; version 2.0.

"After reviewing the QPL, I find that it meets all the criteria to be
considered Open Source," said Eric Raymond, author of The Cathedral
and the Bazaar paper and joint copyright holder of the Open Source
trademark. "This license should allow Open Source software to compete
on features and polish rather than ideological position, which will be
better for the Open Source community."

Linus Torvalds, father of Linux, is happy with the new license, saying,
"I am delighted to see that the Trolls have found a license that suits
both them and the free software community. I hope this finally stops the
divisive license flaming that has been going on, so that we can all get
on with writing code."

"Caldera Systems is very excited about Troll Tech's decision to publish
Qt under an Open Source license," said Ransom Love, President and
CEO of Caldera Systems. "Customer response and feedback to the KDE
desktop environment included in our OpenLinux 1.3 release has been
overwhelming. Offering Qt under an Open Source license will allow KDE
to stand on its technical merits without causing undue concerns to the
development community over licensing terms."

"SuSE congratulates Troll Tech for their wise decision to put Qt under
an Open Source License. SuSE thinks that this step will (hopefully)
unite the Linux community again," said Burchard Steinbild, Managing
Director of S.u.S.E. GmbH.  "SuSE wishes Troll Tech much success with
their products and hopes their reputation in the Linux community rises
after this move, they have deserved it."

Troll Tech continues full support for the Qt Professional Edition, for
companies and developers not choosing the Open Source model. Software
written for either of the official versions will remain completely
compatible.

Troll Tech AS is a computer software company, and has since 1994
delivered high-quality and powerful multi-platform C++ software libraries
for graphical user interface development. Its flagship product Qt is
currently used as the basis for a wide range of successful commercial
and Open Source applications world wide. Troll Tech is located in Oslo,
Norway. Further information is available at http://www.troll.no, or by
contacting info@troll.no.

Open Source is a registered certification mark; http://www.opensource.org.
Qt is a trademark of Troll Tech AS.  Information about the KDE project
is available at http://www.kde.org.  Information about Caldera OpenLinux
is available at http://www.caldera.com.  Information about SuSE Linux
is available at http://www.suse.com.

----- End forwarded message -----