Re: netscape error (won't display images)

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 08:04:18PM -0700, David Karlin wrote:
> Hello,
> I just debianized a friend's old '486 (16MB ram) with a fresh slink
> installation.  Everything seems to be running fine, except for netscape.
>
> I did 'apt-get install navigator-smotif-45', and navigator comes up fine,
> displays text, background colors, etc., but does not display images
> (they show up as a grey box).  This is an old box; on-board VGA video.
>
> When I do 'navigator' from an xterm, error messages from navigator go
> to that xterm, and when I try to load an image, it shows a bunch of
> (repeated) error messages.  Here is a snippet:
>
> navigator-smotif_real:
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
>   Serial number of failed request:  26570
>   Widget hierarchy of resource: unknown
>
> Can anyone help me to interpret this?

I'd say this is because the color palette is to small for it.

just a thought, I'm probably wrong... to see if I'm right try making a small
.xsession like this:

#!/bin/bash

exec netscape

don't forget chmod +x it :)

then see if it still shows only grey boxes... if it does, then i'm almost
surely wrong in my assumption

Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany