PHP3+MySQL problems

Hi.  Well, I seem to be having problems getting PHP to recognize that I
have mysql support in place.  When I try to view a document with a
mysql_connect() function in it, I get:

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function mysql_connect()
in /home/cmayes/public_html/apples.php3 on line 12

Now, the given php script will probably not work correctly as I do not
have things set up exactly the way I had them on the machine where I
had originally wrote (copied) the script.  Even so, it should be able
to use the function, right?  Anyway, I checked for the .so, and yep,
it's in the right place:

cmayes:/usr/lib/php3/apache# ls
calendar.so  crypt.so  mysql.so

In my /etc/php3/apache/php3.ini:

extension_dir   =       /usr/lib/php3/apache

The strange thing is that I had done almost exactly the same thing on a
previous Debian install without a problem.  I have the following
packages installed from the unstable tree:

mysql
mysql-dev
mysql-client
apache
php3
php3-mysql
php3-cgi-mysql (just to be safe)

..and the dependencies associated with the above.

I am running a potatofied Debian on a 2.2.6 kernel.  What else should I
 check, change or do in order to track down the problem?  Standard PHP
 seems to work fine, BTW.

TIA,

-Chris