Wierd Gnome Problem

I just installed Gnome 1.0.1 from the .debs in

http://www.debian.org/~jim/debian-gtk-gnome/gnome-stage-slink

on my Slink system. Here's what I have installed:

ii  gnome-admin     1.0.1-1        Gnome Admin Utilities (gulp and logview)
ii  gnome-bin       1.0.3-1        Miscellaneous binaries used by Gnome
ii  gnome-control-c 1.0.1-0.1      The Gnome Control Center
ii  gnome-core      1.0.1-0.3      Common files for Gnome core apps and help br
ii  gnome-games-loc 1.0.1-4        The locale databasese for the gnome-games pa
ii  gnome-mahjongg  1.0.1-4        Classic Chinese Tile Game (from Gnome)
ii  gnome-network   1.0.1-1        The gnome network utilities.
ii  gnome-panel     1.0.1-0.3      Launch and/or dock Gnome applications
ii  gnome-session   1.0.1-0.3      The Gnome Session Manager
ii  gnome-utils     1.0.1-0.1      Gnome Utilities (gtt, ghex, gnomecal, and mo
ii  libgnome32      1.0.3-1        The Gnome libraries
ii  libgnomesupport 1.0.3-1        The Gnome libraries (Support libraries)
ii  libgnomeui32    1.0.3-1        The Gnome libraries (User Interface)
ii  libobgnome0     1.0.1-0.1      Objective-C - Gnome bindings

I also have all of the GTK and other libs that dselect pulled in when
I installed Gnome.

I'm using WindowMaker 0.52 as my window manager. I added 'exec
gnome-session' to my .xinitrc file and everything seems to start fine,
but when I select anything from the gnome panel, everything just hangs
and I have to killall -9 gnome-session from an xterm.

What's going on here? Am I missing something? Do I need to configure
something before starting Gnome?

--
Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve resolve
w6uv@home.com     | of a kamakaze pilot on his 37th mission."